Akshaya Tritiya is the holy day for both Hindus and Jains. It falls on the third thithi of Shukla Paksha in the holy month of Vaishakha. Hindus offer prayer to Lord Vishnu and Goddess Mahalakshmi. While the Jains worship Thirthankara Rishabhadeva and perform abhisheka to the idol.
In Sanskrit “Akshaya” means ‘Eternal’ and Tritiya means ‘Third Day’. The Japa, Dan-Punya, Yagna, Pitra-Tarpan when performed on this day, yields unending bliss, grace, prosperity, happiness, success, good luck. Many people buy gold on this day, as it believed this would bring prosperity and thus increasing the quantity of wealth.
This year Akshaya Trirtiya falls on 28th April 2017. Also known as Akti, Akha Teej, Navanna Parvam. If Akshaya Tritiya falls on Rohini Nakshatra is considered highly auspicious.
The day is considered very auspicious to start any new ventures/starting business, buying new property or gold, construction, as it would bring growth and prosperity.
Famous Stories related to Akshaya Tritiya
- Lord Kubera prayed to Goddess Lakshmi and was blessed with wealth and prosperity.
- By the effort of Sage Bhagiratha, sacred river Ganga descended to earth from Lord Shiva’s head on this day. Hence Ganga is also called by name ‘Bhagirathi’. Ganga is considered very pure, hence bathing or drinking Ganga Jal eliminates all the sins and helps to attain Moksha.
- The Sixith Avatar of Lord Maha Vishnu, Parashurama was born on this day.
- The second Yuga known as Treta Yuga commenced on this day.
- Lord Ganesha wrote Mahabharatha as narrated by Sage Ved Vyasa.
- On this day, Sudama visited Dwaraka and offered Poha or Beaten Rice (Avalakki in Kannada, Aval in Tamil, Attugulu in Telugu) to Lord Krishna. Pleased with his pure devotion, Lord Krishna blessed him with huge wealth that could never be imagined by Sudama.
- On this day, Lord Sundareshwar married Madurai Meenakshi. Hence marriages performed on this day are considered very auspicious and brings marital bliss, healthy progeny.
- Lord Krishna helped Draupadi from the curse of Sage Durvasa. Krishna ate one grain of rice struck in the cooking pot and turned it to Akshaya Patra. Hence she could feed all the guests. The more she took, the more could come from the pot.
- Tritiya: April 28th 10:29am to April 29th 6:55am
- Akshaya Tritiya Pooja: April 28th 10:29am to April 29th 12:18pm
- Items to donate on Akshaya Tritiya: Rice, Ghee, Cereals, Fruits, Clothes, Tamarind, Vegetables, Salt, Money, Gold
- Foods Recommended to Eat on Akshaya Tritiya: Rice with Moong Dhal Kichdi (Hesaru Bele in Kannada, Kalla Paruppu in Tamil, Pesaru Pappu in Telugu)